Monday, September 8, 2014

Resume Writing (The Job Description)


I remember the days when you would walk into the Human Resources department and ask if the company you wanted to work for were hiring. In today’s technically savvy world your representative is your resume.  Long gone are the days when you are able to immediately converse with a hiring manager.  Is your resume getting you through the door and starting the conversation?

In today’s market there are a few things that will have an impact on your job search, your resume.  

I have read numerous websites as well as visited with, consultants, strategists, headhunters, executive job placement firms. Before any conversation begins guess what they want to review? That’s right! They all want an updated copy of your resume’.
I typed resume writing services into Google.com and the ads show prices ranging from a low of $40 to $99 for these services.  While they certainly have their place, I think with a little bit of effort you can have a product of comparable quality. 

The first thing is to understand what you have been doing.  If at all possible for every job you have had in the past 10 years, you should get an accurate job description for where you have worked.  Below is a sample job description for a Front Desk Coordinator, at HerKare.

The Front Desk Coordinator contributes to the growth and success of the center by ensuring each patient is made to feel like a priority from the time they enter a center to the time they leave. They are responsible for establishing a positive relationship with each patient as well as holding their center accountable to the HerKare's goal of bringing balance back to each patients life! http://www.indeed.com/cmp/HerKare/jobs/Front-Desk-Coordinator-1ba2b02fb866be3d

Even if you cannot find the job description for where you have worked you can find another job with a similar title and the description will be close. All you will have to do is change a few words to fit what you need. In the paragraph above if you simply change the name in the last sentence you have a generic job description of the duties of a front desk coordinator. 

So what makes you different?  For each place of employment you have worked, you need to evaluate how you have done.  Usually below the job description there is a list of skills, tasks or in the case of this job function, “essential functions. “  How well have you performed according to the list you have?

    •  Follow up on all new patient inquiries within 24 hours and oversee the new patient   experience; make a positive first impression with patients both by phone and in person

    • Handle and/or direct patient questions and complaints; know when to escalate and forward to operations team

For the list provided I would evaluate how well each of these tasks is done. If I started with the first bullet of following up with new patient inquires within 24 hours.  This is something that I would imagine your place of employment could track.  If you were the best at follow-up this is something I would list underneath as an accomplishment.  With the Second bullet point handling patient questions and complaints; while this is not something that I would think is tracked, I would look at this statement and think of how I was able to make sure I understood  if I were able to answer questions appropriately. While I would usually skip over situations that are not measurable, the opportunity in this statement is being able to help others understand when to escalate questions, by training others or helping others with accomplishing this task. As an example underneath the job description as an accomplishment I would list:

    •  I successfully followed up on new patient inquires and lead the front desk coordinators in the follow up-rate.
    • I was recognized 2 months in a row for having the best follow up rate
    • Trained new employees on handling direct patient questions
    • I was the go to person for forwarding questions to the operations team
At a minimum I have a generic resume with my job description along with my accomplishments the way that I have described above.  This will give your prospective employer a brief view of where you have worked and what you have contributed as a worker.
Package

No comments:

Post a Comment