Thursday, July 3, 2014

What's going on?

I have taken a few weeks off of blogging because I was finishing up a term in school. I have since walked in my graduation even though I have two more electives to take. So now the question is how do I make the huge leap?

A long time ago I started as a Computer guy, I was in Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) I was a 17 year old kid where I was able to compete in a computer application competition where we had to do Word Processing, Spreadsheets, Databases, and Presentations. I was able to travel to Orlando Courtesy of Metro Tech Vocational Centers.  This is where I kind of had the idea that I wanted to go into business.

After graduating high school, I did not have a clue. My father asked me what I was going to do with myself. I quickly envisioned me working at McDonald's for the rest of my life. So I decided I better get with the program. After enrolling I went through all of the long lines and I was told that I need to withdraw because I didn't have enough money. Unfortunately my father and mother had been out of work due to a union strike at the local manufacturing plant. So I applied for a few scholarships and was able to get a scholarship as well as financial aid. The caveat was that I had to major in science or mathematics. Anyone that knows me knows that I didn't like math. I put my business aspirations to the side and pursued a computer science degree.  I ended up changing to business after taking a Micro-Economics course over the summer.  When I returned to school my friend Chuck told me about his summer with the Marine Corps.

So I ended up graduating and earning a Commission in the United States Army Medical Service Corps. After Graduation I worked as a Gold Bar Recruiter before going to the Officer Basic Course (OBC). I completed the course as the Honor Squad Leader. This means that my squad had the highest combined scores PT, Test, etc. I worked in infantry operations as well as clinical operations. When I left the military I went to work as a distribution/shipping supervisor. I figured I had been working in logistics anyways so I took the job I found out about through a recruiting firm. Much like I did in undergraduate school I did what I thought I had to do in order to keep charging forward. Little did I know that was not exactly where my interest were. I worked in warehousing for about 7 years off and on.  Once I decided to go back to school, I was nervous due to my math skills as well as I had been away from school for a while. 

Last week I completed my graduation walk for my MBA. I thoroughly enjoy learning about business, but much like the military, most people know me as an operations/distributions guy versus a healthcare guy.  So I need a strategy for getting back into the healthcare field or perhaps an analyst role.

No comments:

Post a Comment